Accessibility (universal design) with finansportalen.no
By: Raif Aaker, Finansportalen
Accessibility for all (universal design) has been an important element in the development of finansportalen.no. Our web pages contain vast volumes of data and the way in which to present this data can be challenging.
We test our web pages to ensure full accessibility for the disabled. In doing so, we assume that those persons using a Narrator function or other data technology have basic knowledge on how the equipment works.
Examples of accessibility on finansportalen.no
- Table format adapted to different needs
- Use of hidden text to increase accessibility for narrator functions
- Alternative interface for Flash films
- Change of font size (using browser or web page)
- Speech enabled browsers (VoiceWeb)
- Alternative marking of graphics
- The web site complies with prevailing standards (WCAG)
- RSS (makes it easy to follow the news)
Users can have VoiceWeb read the content of our web site. The content is read by a synthetic voice. With the Norwegian text, there are two different voices; Kari who reads in bokm å l and Nora in nynorsk .
Speech enabled browsers are specially designed for people with reading difficulties and visual impairment. A number of foreign language speakers also say it is easier to understand content when it is read for them.
How to use VoiceWeb:
- Select "Activate VoiceWeb" from the Tools menu (at the top of the page).
- Mark the text to be read.
- Select "Play" in the VoiceWeb panel.
The work to ensure full accessibility for finansportalen.no is a continuous process. If you have any suggestions for improvements, we would be very grateful if you could send us an email with the details.